2009/04/27

Learning a new language


I decided last year that I would learn a new language. The reason for that - besides the fact that I like being able to talk - was that for a long while I'd been watching lots and lots of asian dramas and movies but had always been dependent on subs. After looking around for a bit, I realized that the market for Japanese language courses was much larger than both Korean and Chinese (although the latter has gained ground fast - I noticed last year that there are comprehensive schools in Sweden offering Mandarin. I could only choose between French and German. But at least now I'm not constricted to English subs only ;) ). Anyhow, I chose Japanese, it just seemed easier. At the time, I was on holiday and had all the time in the world and when I got back to work and chores and seven cats, I dropped a few things from my schedule.
BUT, then, a couple of months ago I decided again and this time I prepared and did some rearranging, and now it's coming along alright. However, to get back to drawing, I thought I'd try combining the two by illustrating a randomly selected word or phrase; today's word is 'suika' meaning 'watermelon'. The story behind this drawing is that my Mother, as a child, was a country girl, and when she would tell us stories of those days, it always sounded terribly exotic and immense and I imagined cotton fields and torrential rain and scorching sun - so far from our very normal suburban everydays .


...and hopefully, one day, my scribbles will be good enough for a Japanese-reading person to uderstand. :D

8 comments:

  1. Great story! and what a cute chubby little girl you've painted! if it isn't you!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's mum - apparently she was a bit chubby for a while. not sure about the hairdo but I couldn't be bothered to go through the albums to confirm it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. vadå, menar du att det här är från ett foto?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. men visst hade det varit kul att se henne krama en melon! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. inte alls! jag menar bara att de foton som finns, ligger undanstoppade någonstans, så jag är inte helt säker på vad hon hade för frisyr vid den åldern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugoi! Oh, Nancy, this is marvelous! The watercolor is adorable, and I applaud you for learning a new language! You put me to shame. Here I am in Japan, and I haven't opened up my textbook since last November. I told myself I'd be disciplined...HA! You inspire me. I'm going to start learning it again, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, Bella, do you really have the time to studyand blog as much as you do? I'm seriously impressed by your work!
    Maybe if got meself a new computer, one that doesn't take 45 minutes to process an image, I might be online more. See, that's a huge reason I'm off so much these days. gotta do something about that. too good at stalling. ick.

    ReplyDelete