2010/08/28

Illustration Friday: "Immovable";[したたか]shitataka


Immovable: Not capable of being affected or moved in feeling or by sympathy; unimpressible; impassive."

There's a luxury in our part of the world (not necessarily geographical) that allows for a bit of selfishness and an opportunity to ignore the less fortunate when we feel like it. And that's in some ways OK (I wanted to say "alright" but somehow that definition seems not quite the same?) but what actually frightens me sometimes is how easy it is to turn off the news and not be bothered or even to just look at the people around us and see nothing at all. I'm always interested in how we can manipulate our minds but this is one side of it I don't particularly like - even though I myself do it often enough. 
And my only excuse for it is being tired.

13 comments:

  1. This is a terrific take on this prompt...I find it very moving and actually you did it so well that it did not need an explanation.
    She comes across to me very aloof and apathetic...great work.
    Cynthia Schelzig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia - thanks you so much!

    Emily - yes, there's a risk of being overwhelmed without a little rest for the mind and soul :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your illustration says it all....I mean, I need to close my eyes sometimes to prevend getting overwhelmed, but you are right, I have my eyes closed sometimes when I should not. Finding balance in this is a tough job...

    Thanks for sharing and making more aware...

    Nancy B.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like your illustration for this topic. I'm guilty of not watching the news or reading the papers for nearly 2 years now, it's mainly to do with my decision to stop watching TV altogether and spend that time on other good things instead. I do sometimes feel guilty for not paying attention to what's going on in the world but I also feel so much better on my TV diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about no explanation necessary. I get this way too sometimes, though, only I won't even look at or listen to the news. Sometimes it;s what you have to do. But it does seem criminal somehow. This is a very effective illustration--with her being so sketchy, and the news on the TV being so real and solid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks everyone! I was worried the drawing wouldn't carry the idea across properly but I guess it worked. ;)

    ReplyDelete