2010/12/24

Illustration Friday: "Winter"; ふゆ fuyu

"There is a privacy about it which no other season gives you.... In spring, summer and fall people sort of have an open season on each other; only in the winter, in the country, can you have longer, quiet stretches when you can savor belonging to yourself."  ~Ruth Stout

Time to imagine, to create our own worlds, perhaps. Although, it need not be only in the country - in the midst of city life, the sounds of traffic and business, are muffled by the snow and only children's yelps as they throw themselves down a slope, seep up to my window.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful illustration and I love the quote! You said "snow"... are you spending the holidays back home in Sweden?
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
    xoxo
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, just nostagically remembering what snow was like...;) Happy hols to you too, Anna! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your use of color in this is really lovely. Beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful words and a beautiful image. Many of your images make me think and even more, make me feel as I do so...
    lovely
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your illustration and I love your oil paintings too - I want to be able to paint like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice piece and a wonderful Stout quotation!

    ReplyDelete