2011/03/09

Is this a painting I see before me?

It sure is! I don't know why I don't post my paintings, perhaps I'm just a little too sensitive about them - even at a show, where everyone knows it's my signature on the canvases, I still squirm and all but disown them. I think some of it has to do with my aversion towards selling; I don't want my friends to think they have to buy and I don't want anybody feeling the pressure of having to admire a painting they find, at best, OK. And then there's that sensation of somehow cheapening the art by talking money - it sounds terribly silly, I know, and in theory I don't agree with it at all! But talk of money - in this singular situation - really does make me uncomfortable - why is that, I wonder?
Anyway, this here is a small still life I produced this morning and will perhaps be part of a group exhibition in a few weeks time. If not, it'll go to Etsy.
I'm doing a lot of apples these days, maybe I'll show you some more before the week ends. :)

9 comments:

  1. It is great! The first thing I ever painted was an apple. I was astounded that I could do it. I don't paint or draw now though. I find it frustrating instead of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frustrating? How come? Although, yes, it does get annoying when the result is not what I want, but still, the fun when I do, makes it all worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I feel so anxious when I draw and paint. I have to keep erasing over and over. Then I'm not sure how to color it right. I think if I loved drawing then I would take a painting class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Härliga färger!! i vilken utställning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really really loved your thoughts about SELLING... you're not alone, unfortunately ;)... these are EXACTLY my same thoughts and feelings!!! I think lots of artists feel this way. I have a terrible aversion to selling, I hate to make people feel they "have" to buy something from me... I hate the whole marketing process -- it's silly, I know, but that's the way I feel. Believe me, I feel exactly the same as you! That's why I have turned to online selling, but it seems there's more I need to do to really sell (ugh) my work. Approaching shops directly is pure horror for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and by the way, there's a lovely artist interviewed on my blog... she paints Cat Ladies!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy,
    you should show us more paintings,These apples look so fresh, just to bite in.
    Have a great weekend
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great composition and colors. What a rare thing to see a painting here.

    I usually stop by to see all the "What I wore today" sketches.

    I love the way your apple shadows stretch just the right amount of length.

    ReplyDelete