2011/12/24

An atypical morning in my house

It started out as usual, though, with a morning walk with Ido and Emil.
When the boys had tired of smelling the morning air and headed back for breakfast, it was still dark enough to catch the fairy lights in the lemon tree.

 After that, it's time to feed the ones that roam the streets all night.

And take the long route home, by the beach:

 When I get back, Bella has found herself a nice shoebox to disfigure.

Only after that, it's finally my turn to have breakfast, and try the porter bread with raisin I made last night:
Usually at this point, I'd get up to the studio and continue with whatever painting or other stuff that needs to be done but, I'm taking the day off, just for today. From here on, it's just lounging about, eating, playing, sleeping - like any regular cat. ;)

Did you know that in Sweden, in the olden days, we too had something akin to carol singers. They were youths dressed in goat masks (and other, often frightening costumes), going from house to house, singing or putting on plays, earning food and drink in exchange - to take away and be consumed at feast gatherings in the weeks after Yule and New Year. There was also a popular tag-game where you had to, unseen, place a straw goat in a neighbour's house, perhaps with a cheeky rhyme attached to it, and wait for the goat to be returned in the same fashion. I'm not too familiar with the English Christmas holidays but here, our Yule and its aftermaths lasts for about a month, and during that time, the straw goat would go back and forth continously. I don't know if there was some kind of punishment for being caught, though.
Anyway, all these (and more!) different traditions were eventually bundled up into the predecessor to the modern Santa (which still isn't quite the American Santa, not yet anyway), with the goat giving out presents and so on.
All that's left these days is the little straw version sitting under the Holiday tree.
One much larger goat is the one they put up in Gävle (city in the north of Sweden) every year. unfortunately it has also become a tradition to burn it down. I read once that there are official bets on how long the goat will survive; if it burns before the 13th of December, a new one is erected.
 (photo source: gd.se)
Getting presents isn't so much fun these days - if I need something, like art supplies, I'm much better off buying it myself; if there's something I really want, it's usully espensive art supplies, in which case it'd be rude to put that on the wish list! ;) But I still like giving gifts and since in this house the only ones to recieve presents are the cats, here's me making some last minute catnip toys. And since we exchance gifts on the eve of the 24th, they've already been enjoyed and destroyed.

And as for what I wore today - a soft peachy pink dress my Mum made for me many eons ago. But it's still in good condition so why not. And as you can see, pink and yellow seem to be the couleurs du jour!

Well, to all of you who still have celebrations to look forward to, I wish you all a happy and fun holiday! :)


2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Nancy! I enjoyed following you on your early morning walk, seeing that yummy looking bread, watching Bella's sweet dreams, your wonderful dress (it's so festive and special!) and reading about the Swedish Christmas traditions!

    Have a beautiful, warm and cozy Christmas time with your sweet furry babies, dear Nancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great post thanks for sharing such informative post..
    Ziegenkostüm

    ReplyDelete