2013/08/04

Illustration Friday: "Hybrid"

Acrylic on canvas. Detail of larger painting.
One of my favourite books when I was little - you know the kind that captures your imagination so completely and makes you savour every little word in the story no matter how many times you read it  - was Beverley Nichols' The Stream That Stood Still (part of a series, I believe). The stories have such a great combination of magic, sadness and a smacking portion of delicious wickedness. The story (as far as I remember it - it really was a very long time ago ...) was about a girl who's brother has been transformed into a fish (by a wicked witch, obviously!) and she has to save him. The part I particularly remember, is how she makes a magic mask that will allow her to breathe under water - being such a watery person myself, I so much wanted to find the ingredients for that mask, too!
The other detail I remember vividly (though not sure if it's from this particular story), is that there was a beetle named Beelzebub. I loved that beetle. I don't recall the storyline with this one but something in me makes me think of bravery and great kindness when I remember little Beelzebub.
Next time I'm in Sweden, I think I'll look it up at the local library. :)

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I would have loved that kind of mask when I was a kid too. And it wouldn't be the same as scuba gear, which is cumbersome. I used to pretend to have magic shoes which allowed me to fly.

    I love this painting. It feels so cool, and watery. I still love swimming, maybe even more than I did as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly, it would be like actually breathing under water ... you know it reminds me of harry Potter, didn't he use some sort of plant to give him temporary gills? I wonder if that is a common trait in old fairytales.

      I think I enjoy swimming in a much more conscious way nowadays! ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful painting! The book sounds fun too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love the loose brush strokes and palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I adore water and misty mornings, but I don't always get to use that cool side of the spectrum! :o

      Delete
  4. Nancy, you are a great painter, you know very well how to paint light and how to paint shadow.
    and you know to draw so well that the drawing in your painting is like if it were not there, (es como si no hubiese dibujo) but the drawing is there, serving as a support for all color (¿se entiende lo que quiero decir?)
    No te preocupes Nancy, tú eres una sirena, no necesitas nada especial para respirar bajo el agua ;))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... creo que entiendo ... por lo menos entiendo lo que leo. ;) lol, una sirena! I wish! :D

      Delete
    2. ... aunque ahora no sé si entiendo que es lo que escribí yo! lol

      Delete
  5. Volví porque ayer olvidé decirte que la foto de espaldas en tu perfil está muy buena!! :)... y para ver de nuevo este cuadro, es muuuuy bueno, eh!

    ReplyDelete