2014/11/25

My turn on the Around The World Blog Hop

I was invited by Eithna Joyce of the art blog Little Bit of Blue to participate in something called Around The World Blog Hop. The rules are simple, you answer the following 4 questions:

1. What am I working on now
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre
3. Why do I create what I create
4. How does my creating process work  

and then you tag 1-3 other bloggers to do the same. 

You probably all know by now that I'm a fairly regular participant in the weekly illustration challenge Illustration Friday, and that's how I found Eithna's blog. Eithna lives in Ireland and although I've never been there, I recognise the misty morning atmosphere from our own nippy Swedish autumns. She mixes techniques and creates a moment on her canvas - her paintings are by no means hyper-realistic yet that's the impression one gets; I remember actually sitting and just looking and looking at her IF entry that first time, with the distinct sensation that I could've stepped into that painting had I wanted to. There's something very tangible about her art; I like her lines and I like that I can see the paint applied - here are a few of my favourites:


As for my own answer to those four questions ...

1. What am I working on now? 
Wintery stuff, raindeer, snow and sometihng to go along with some misheard lyrics I heard the other day (I googled and found nothing so I'm assuming I got it wrong). Below is a quick sketch I made for future reference; I used charcoal and acrylics and it's called "The day I kissed a deer":
2. How does my work differ from others of its genre

I don't think what I do is that different from what others do but I am starting to find my own style and I do recognise my own drawings from a stylistic perspective when I see them on for example Etsy.

3. Why do I create what I create 

Oh how I'd love to say I do it for the improvement of the world but even when I do have a political message (and you'd be surprised how often the original idea did) I usually get caught up in the actual painting or drawing and end up with something that's the result of me just having fun. But I do hope that no matter what, my drawings evoke in the spectator a feeling or memory of something that stays if only for a moment. That's what I look for in other people's art.

4. How does my working process go.

Well, technically ... if I'm drawing it's all about the pencil. I love the sketchiness of that grey line - to see an artist's pencil sketches at an exhibition is practically a wet dream for me, like fingerprints on a painting or marks left on a clay sculpture ... I think I might be somewhat obsessed with the physical aspect of creating. ;) I embrace accidents; drips, spills, a pencil breaking, a cat creasing the paper, all that I save. And I do like to mix my pencils with charcoal, paint, rubber stamps, recently I used a stray cat-hair to make a particularly fine line as I dragged it out of the watercolour puddle.
There's a word in Japanese, a concept of understanding that scars and mending something that's been broken is not only part of the beauty but that that history has in itself beauty. The word is kintsukuroi.

I can't listen to music while painting and I can't draw without some!





Moving along ...  and the artist I'm tagging next is my sister.
Despite her being my sister, and me - in theory - having unlimited access to picking her brains, I actually know very little about her art. So this seems like the perfect opportunity to get at the thoughts behind her creations :D
I'll just show you some examples from her lastest blog post, where she showed commissioned (Kellog's) drawings and a video animation.


1 comment:

  1. That reindeer human you've painted is amazing! creepy but good and strong.

    Number 2 is so hard to answer, I'd probably say the same :-)

    ReplyDelete